The Manipur University of Culture (MUC) is the first only Cultural University as an academic institution in the North Eastern Region of India for learning in the various indigenous performing art of Manipur including Indian culture. The Manipur University of Culture (MUC) was recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC), Ministry of Education Government of India. In this University, the Department of Theatre and Performance Studies has been opened since the establishment of the University. Theatre and Performance Studies offers a diverse spectrum of courses covering the history, theory and practice of theatre, dance, music and performance, both within India and across the world. Covering a vast time frame from ‘living traditions’ of rural performances to the cutting-edge developments in political theatre, gender, globalization, and performance art, the Department is committed to studying theatre and performance both within established traditions of the stage, as well as concerning the immediacies and contradictions of public culture at national and global levels. Theatre is a multi-interdisciplinary art of performance with audio and visual medium to the audience.
The Department of Theatre and Performance Studies of Manipur University of Culture (MUC), Palace Compound Imphal came into existence in the year 2015. The Department started with Three Year Bachelor Degree Programme under Semester System in “Theatre and Performance Studies”. Two Year Master Degree Programme in “Theatre and Performance Studies” is going to be started from the academic session 2020-21. In this course of the educational in theatre and performance studies, the detailed syllabus has been designed taking into account for the development of theatre such as Indian Theatre, Greek Theatre, Chinese Opera Theatre, Japanese traditional theatre, South East Asian Countries Theatre including Manipur traditional and modern theatre such Shumang Leela (Opera Theatre of Manipur), Mandap Leela Theatre, etc. The University gives an opportunity to the passed out students of the University and department for the Employment in various public sectors and government departments like All India Radio (AIR), Doordarshan Kendra, Song and Drama Division and other private sectors. This Department carries with detailed objectives and detailed scope.
The Department is to study the various ritual performance of Lai Haraoba, folk song, folk dance, folk music, classical dance and music, creative dance and music, Manipuri Martial Art (Thang-Ta), designing of creative products of dress and costume related with characters, designing of creative stage set and properties as well as lighting design, make-up related to the play production, Electronic Visual Art, Choreograph and Manipuri Tribal Art and Culture.
The main objectives of the Department are to disseminate and advance knowledge by providing comprehensive training, both practical and theoretical including research facilities (PhD) in various aspects of theatre. The Department aims at the total development of the student’s personality.
- To give the students an understanding of the basic principles of fundamentals laws of theatre and performance studies in the form of educational information to the present society due to social changing and evolution as a knowledge society.
- To train the students on the techniques of theatres as an educational tool, methods and mode of information management.
- To engage students in the collaborative process.
- To strengthen students’ creative skills in live performance through the study of craft and technique.
- To engage critical studies and histories of dance, theatre, and performance with rigour and curiosity.
- To create unique, challenging and diverse live performances and share them with our community.
- To analyse in detail from the grassroots level on ritual performance of Lai Haraoba in Manipur as “Lai Haraoba as an origin of Manipuri Theatre Especially”.